Office of the Vice-President Research
Roles of the OVPR
- Developing strategies, programs, services and supports to enhance the research, scholarly and artistic environment
- Celebrating and promoting research, scholarly and artistic achievements and capabilities in provincial, national, and international arenas
- Fostering innovation, entrepreneurship and knowledge transfer
- Forging inter- and multi-disciplinary collaborations and research partnerships
- Oversight of the management of the research enterprise, including policy development, processes and administration:
- Research Excellence and Innovation
- Research Acceleration and Strategic Initiatives
- Research Profile and Impact
- International Office
- *Joint oversight with VPA-Provost: CRCs, international
The AVPR promotes and ensures high standards of research, scholarly and artistic work at USask. The AVPR leads a broad portfolio that includes:
- Leadership for strategic initiatives to foster and enhance research success at USask, including its academic units, research centres and institutes.
- Provision of support aimed at fostering new research programs and forging inter-disciplinary and inter-agency research partnerships.
- Oversight of the International Research and Partnerships Office.
Research Excellence and Innovation has a two-part interrelated mandate:
- Research Excellence: Supporting high-quality research activities, by helping researchers engage in strategic research partnerships, manage risk, and meet relevant ethics, legal and safety standards, and
- Innovation: Creating significant and sustainable value for society, industry and the environment, by helping researchers turn their discoveries into solutions the world needs.
Research Acceleration and Strategic Initiatives has a two-part interrelated mandate:
- Research Acceleration: Enhancing participation and supporting faculty success in funding programs, including pre- and post award support for individuals and major institutional competitions and
- Strategic Initiatives: Leading strategic institutional initiatives support faculty research career and research group development, as well as engagement of undergraduate students in the institution’s discovery mission.
The International Office provides administrative support for international relations, international partnerships and the effective co-ordination of USask international activities. The office also works with researchers to develop international research collaborations, identify international research opportunities and provides support for project development.
The Research Profile and Impact unit tells the university’s research story to the world – through strategic communications initiatives involving print, video, web, social media, advertisements, speeches, op eds, and events. This builds our reputation as a U15 institution for excellence in our research, scholarly and artistic work which helps attract top faculty and students, public and private investment, and support from alumni and partners.
The unit serves as the university’s liaison with federal and provincial research granting agencies, ensuring compliance with communications requirements and leading high-profile events to showcase our research funding successes. Working in close co-ordination with University Relations and a network of U of S college and research centre communicators, the unit helps faculty, post-doctoral fellows, and student researchers tell their research stories, whether in print, web or video. The unit is the lead for the university’s participation in the national digital news service The Conversation Canada.