All USask researchers are encouraged to develop project applications for Tri-Agency funding.
The three Tri-Agencies are:
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR): Canada's federal funding agency for health research. Composed of 13 Institutes, CIHR collaborates with partners and researchers to support the discoveries and innovations that improve health and strengthen the health care system.
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC): The federal research funding agency that promotes and supports postsecondary-based research and training in the humanities and social sciences.
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC): Canada’s largest supporter of discovery and innovation, supporting Canadian scientists and engineers.
Are you working on a Tri-Agency application? Your college research facilitator is a great resource.
RASI has developed targeted supports for particular and select large-scale Tri-Agency research grants such as SSHRC PDG and Insight grants; CIHR Project grants; NSERC Discovery and RTI grants.
The RASI Internal Review program will help coordinate a review of your Tri-Agency proposal. The review process provides feedback for improvement and revision before submission. See the link below for more details.
Canada First Research Excellence Fund (CFREF)
The Canada First Research Excellence Fund (CFREF) supports innovative research that creates long-term economic advantages to catapult Canada to the global stage. CFREF helps institutions:
- Support large-scale strategic initiatives in areas where institutions have already demonstrated strength and leadership;
- Further expand their institutional vision and leadership role on the international stage;
- Make strategic investments in areas which have the potential to create long-term economic advantages for Canada.
Although a formal call has not yet been released, in anticipation USask is beginning its internal process for this competition. We expect a formal announcement in Fall 2021 that will likely include the following expectations:
- One application per institution
- Award term of up to 7 years
- No prescribed award amount
- Sharpened focus on Equity, Diversity & Inclusion and Early Career Researchers
- Similar selection criteria as in the past
- 4 October 2021 – Call for Expressions of Interest (EOI)
- 15 November 2021 – EOI due to email@example.com
- 1 December 2021 (anticipated) – Selection of 1 USask proposal after a 2-phased adjudication process that will engage college leadership and is anticipated to include ptiches for the top 1-3 submissions.
- Spring 2022 – CFREF Letter of Intent due
- Fall 2022 – CFREF Full Applications due
USask Expression of Interest
Applicants are strongly encouraged to meet with their Associate or Vice-Dean Research to discuss their idea and build a cross-unit approach.
We encourage all applicants to review the following resources when preparing your EOI:
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
CFREF is a tri-agency initiative of the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council and the Canadian Institutes of Health Research. It is administered by the Tri-agency Institutional Programs Secretariat, which is housed within SSHRC.
NSERC USRA (Undergraduate Student Research Award)
Research Acceleration and Strategic Initiatives is the institutional home for the NSERC USRA (Undergraduate Student Research Awards). Please see our NSERC USRA page for more information.