For information on administering your research funds, please refer to Financial Reporting's Research Administration page.

Authorization of a New Research Financial Fund

Research funds are held by the University and are not the property of Principal Investigator. 

It is the responsibility of Research Services to ensure that the terms and conditions of the research agreement administered by the University conform to University Policies and Guidelines.  If the University is able to comply with the conditions of the research agreement, a Fund authorization will be issued by Research Services to Financial Reporting to create a new research Fund.  Financial Reporting will notify the Principal Investigator when the research Fund has been established.

Required Compliance Approvals and Regulations

If the research project requires human ethics approval, animal care review, biosafety, Saskatoon Health Region approval, or other necessary permits, the Fund cannot be authorized by Research Services or accessed by the Principal Investigator without copies and/or details of these approvals.

Over the course of the research project, these approvals must be maintained if required for the research conducted, otherwise access to the research funds will be halted.

Submitting approvals to Research Services as soon as they are available will reduce delays in your Fund being established. There may be circumstances where a Fund is necessary before ethics approval can be obtained; contact Research Services for details on what needs to be done to authorize your Fund.

Any research or study conducted at University facilities, or undertaken by persons connected to the University, involving human subjects, animals or biohazardous materials must be reviewed and approved by the appropriate Research Ethics Board (REB) or Committee. Assistance or guidance in obtaining these approvals is available through the Research Ethics office.  For further information on these policies and how to obtain University approval check the Research Ethics website.

For Tri-Agency funding compliance, refer to the U of S Financial Services Tri-Agency Administration page.

Please contact U of S Safety Resources office directly to get advice regarding legal regulations and University policies which may apply at U of S Safety Resources if you intend to use any of the following:

  • Controlled Chemical products listed in the Saskatchewan Occupational Health and Safety Regulations, or have any questions regarding hazardous or other controlled chemical products;
  • Highly Toxic Chemical Substances or carcinogenic substances;
  • Transportation of Dangerous Goods - The importation or exportation of any hazardous material or agent requires specific documentation and placarding in accordance with federal law. Noncompliance can result in shipment delays and fines being levied against the individual responsible for the infraction.
  • Procure Biological or Radioactive Materials

For any research involving field work or research that could have an adverse effect on the environment, sponsors may request an Environmental Assessment before the research can proceed. Any grant submitted to a federal department or agency will be required as part of the application to include details to be reviewed by an EA if any of the research described in the proposal is to take place outside an office or laboratory.

Field research consists of work activities conducted for the purpose of study, research or teaching that are undertaken at a location outside the geographical boundaries of the University of Saskatchewan campus. For information regarding the Field Research Safety please refer to the Safety Resources website.

Transfer of Funds between Institutions

If you are the Principal Investigator and require the transfer of a portion of the awarded funds to a Co-investigator(s) internally within the University or externally to a co-investigator(s) from another Institution, please contact Research Services.   Research Services requires the following information to draft a transfer agreement or subcontract will include: project title, start and end date for transfer of funds, co-investigator name, co-investigator’s organization, statement of work and a budget for the total amount of funding to be transferred.

If you are a Co-investigator on a grant or contract and the Principal Investigator based at another Institution would like to transfer a portion of the awarded funds to the University for your research, the Principal Investigator must contact their Research Services office to initiate the transfer.  Please notify Research Services of the pending transfer agreement.

If you are re-locating to the University from another Institution, there are a number of items that are required before arrangements can be made to transfer your research funding under the administration of the University of Saskatchewan.  Please contact Research Services to discuss details of the transfer.

Amendments and Extensions

Under some circumstances it is necessary to negotiate amendments to agreements or to simply extend the end date of an agreement. In these instances, it is recommended that Research Services be notified as soon as possible. This will allow the amendment to be finalized and executed more efficiently, hopefully minimizing any disruptions to the research. Please note that the sponsor may refuse to extend the end date of an agreement.

Amendments usually have to be signed, as discussed in the Internal Approvals Required section.

Departing Researchers

For a Principal Investigator who leaves the University, Research Services must be notified prior to departure.  All research agreements held by that individual will be reviewed by Research Services to ensure compliance with their respective terms and conditions.

When possible, continuation of the research project at the University should be facilitated. Should the Sponsor transfer the role of Principal Investigator to another at the University, the fund administration will also be transferred. If the departing researcher maintains his/her role as Principal Investigator (has Adjunct Professor status), Fund administration will remain with the Principal Investigator.

Relocation of the Principal Investigator to another Institution

When a Principal Investigator moves from one eligible institution to another, some Sponsors and Agencies may consider a request to transfer held research support to the new Institution.  Transfer of research funds may be accommodated, subject to outstanding commitments to the University.  For Tri-Agency funded grants, information pertaining to the documents to be submitted can be found on the Grant Amendment Form. Please contact Research Services to transfer research contract funds as the existing contract(s) between the University of Saskatchewan and the sponsoring agency may have to be terminated.

If continued research at the University is not possible, and after transfer of any approved research funds has been executed, any residual funding remaining with the University, including Continuous Research Funds, will be under the direction of the Principal Investigator’s academic home. These funds must be used for research purposes.

Moving Equipment or an Unexpended Equipment Grant

All equipment purchased with research funds belongs to the University or the Sponsoring Agency and not to the individual Principal Investigator, unless the Sponsoring Agency agrees otherwise in writing, or unless doing so would be contrary to a legislated requirement. If the Principal Investigator is moving to another Institution and wishes to take an unexpended Equipment Grant, or to move equipment purchased with research funds, the former institution and the sponsoring agency may, in its discretion, give permission for such a move.

Termination of Research Support

The Sponsoring Agency will terminate a grant when the Principal Investigator no longer holds an eligible position at an eligible institution. However, the agency may approve the transfer of the grant to an eligible Co-investigator or another eligible individual as suggested by the institution.  The Sponsor may terminate a research agreement when requirements are not met (e.g., unsatisfactory progress, discontinuation of the partner’s contributions, non-compliance) or when the Principal Investigator is unable to carry out the research or research related activities for which the grant was awarded. The date of the termination will be determined by the Sponsoring Agency. 

For Tri-Agency grants, information pertaining to the documents to be submitted can be found on the Grant Amendment Form.